Monday 18 April 2011

I PLEAD THE FIFTH!

I voted for the new constitution on 4th August 2010, for reasons that I don’t wish to disclose… besides, this is not a political forum neither do I have to justify my right to vote as I please. Yes... RIGHT!!! We have RIGHTS & FREEDOMS in Kenya and with this document these RIGHTS & FREEDOMS are now more pronounced than before.

Today is a Monday. Like any other normal Kenya I experience serious Monday Blues… You know that thing where you wake up on Monday morning and wish that the weekend had dragged on and on and on and on and on and on and on… Especially if the weekend involved a group of girls toasting some lethal drinks because one of their own will be walking down the aisle this weekend. So I’m sure by now you understand just how dreary my Monday morning was.

I had to go deliver a letter for the boss. I walked into the recipients’ office and bureaucracy being what it is; the secretary refuses to sign for the letter because of a spelling error. I must have forgotten to mention that for unknown reasons the elevators at the office only work at 8 a.m, 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. So here I am, bored out of my mind and having gone down three flights of stairs, the secretary informs that she cannot sign for the letter because there was a spelling error. *MULTIPLE HARD BLINKS*

Whilst I try to explain to her it is nothing but a spelling error, walks in a gay man. Now, I should state that I have nothing against people who swing that way because they are as much human as I. But there was something about this guy. He looked like he’d just walked out of a movie scene. He had a grey suite on. Shinny grey. The collar of the jacket was covered in brown fur. I kid you not. FUR! His hair was all curled up, as though he’d applied Hair-glow. His nails all polished up in red. His shoes had a little heel and were super shiny... BLACK! Instantly, he sized me up and mumbled something about my legs. I quickly say thank you and proceed to deal with the secretary. Woman would not bulge for anyone… or so I thought. 

The gentleman who walked in began to quarrel her (of course after listening in on my monologue with the crazy secretary) about how inefficient and unrealistic her demands were (asking me to go back up three flights of stairs to correct the spelling error). It must have been his sexual preference that made her change her mind (I know it doesn’t make sense, but it’s the only reasonable explanation). She immediately signed for the letter and sent me away. On my way out, my “hero” pulls an Usher Raymond (please read O.M.G moment) and comments about my posterior. Dazzled, I looked behind and asked him if he is allowed to say such stuff considering he is… well, you know... he is GAY…
His response, “Oh, you must have thought that because of my dressing huh?”
My response: “Really?”
His response: “Yes”
My response: *HARD BLINK* “Eh, that’s a trick question. I plead the 5th
His response: “Good answer; because I just like to dress like this for fun on Mondays. It gets heads turning.”
My response (after a long stare): “So does that mean you get to say things about ladies legs and posteriors”
His response: “YES!”

I was in awe! The extremes people resort to so as to turn heads… and get people to draw conclusions about their sexuality… Talk about being crazy… or exercising one’s RIGHTS’ & FREEDOMS beyond imagination.



3 comments:

  1. LOL...I want your Monday! What!! That guy knows how to shoo away his Monday blues, and I hope yours too to a good extent. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Christine, he totally made my Monday! I wished I had met him immediately I got to the office. Have a great week too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did after all vote yes for same sex unions,part of the new constitution.i guess now we've opened up a portal for all the crazies cross dressers not withstanding!it's monday all over again,happy monday!

    ReplyDelete