Saturday 14 May 2011

Lost Comedy

Yesterday was Friday the 13th. I got stuck in a lift for 90 seconds; I could have sworn I was stuck for a year! Fortunately for me, I wasn't stuck in the lift with a man who wished that we were the only two people left in the world. It eventually started moving just before we called for help! The day before, my alter-ego was given a name BRANDY. :-) Last Sunday was Mother’s Day – and I am the kind of daughter, who did have something to say to her mother, except: “I love you and if I become half the woman you are to my children and my husband, I will have been truly blessed!” (That was the same thing I said last year)… She must have thought I sound like a broken record; but she is a mother, so she replied and said that was a sweet text and she was grateful. My siblings sent more original texts though. That encouraged me; that we are not bad kids. That was on a “light” note.

I think I once stated how much I loathe Nigerian movies, Spanish/Italian or Mexican soaps… Oh and there are new kids on the block, Chinese/Japanese (I can’t tell the difference). I cannot stand them! They are painful to watch, as painful as it would be to watch paint dry. For some weird reason our local television stations have been hypnotized to believe that they - the shows -  are all that and a bag of chips; and maybe they are for some people (God save their souls)

Truth is, there are few good shows anymore; if at all there are any! I miss watching “Full-house, Perfect Strangers (Cozin Larry & Barney), Wayans Brothers, Family Matters, My Wife and Kids, Parenthood, Fresh Prince of Belair, Police Academy, Kids say the Darndest Things, 227… Those were good days, when we could actually sing along to the tunes of these shows and know what we were saying, as opposed to mumbling to ridiculous Mexican tunes and getting all the words wrong! I miss good comedy; I miss good family shows… The shows we were never ashamed to watch with the folks around. The shows that taught us that sibling rivalry was a way OK but it was always better to solve the issue, the shows that taught us that we could do the impossible (like convert into a handsome guy using some machine), the shows that didn’t make us believe that every rich girl, is a manipulative little heifer that will do anything to get a man who has no love for her, the shows that didn’t make us think that men could read minds and thus understand a woman’s every need, the shows that cracked our ribs and literally made us ROLL OVER LAUGHING! I miss those shows… Those were some good old days; days I would give a lot to have back 

Have a perfect stranger, family matters, full house, and parenthood-like weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment