Monday 28 October 2013

Guest Post: Growing Up

Free spirit. Smart (Intelligent). Cavalier. Those are the adjectives that best describe my guest blogger; Mwende. She sent me an email that said: "Incase you ever host pieces on your blog, here goes... I wrote this in the last 10 minutes... just cos I felt like." When I first got this email from her, it took about five seconds to understand what she was on about and then once I figured it out, I was  excited - mostly because I didn't know she writes. Still not sure if she does.
 
I met Mwende through my sister in 2008 at the Red Cross Kenya offices in South C. It was just after the 2007/8 Post-election violence. The organization she and my sister worked for were volunteering at the Red Cross Kenya offices to help load and off load donations intended to assist the victims of the violence and I am sort-of my sisters' hand-bag. I thought she was fun and funny. I got to know her a bit more through social media where I realized how similar we are... She has OCD and cannot step on/outside the line of a box/curb. She counts her steps as she walks. She thinks for a living. She has great taste in music... But, up until she sent me this I didn't know just how similar we are. She recently flew out to pursue her Masters and I highly suspect this post was inspired by this new-chapter of her life.
 
Enjoy it and comment if you wish (and I hope you do).
 
P.s. The only thing I have changed is the Font. I am particular about font type and size.

Growing up means different things to different people….Growing up for me has meant a lot of things, some significant and some small still and subtle….I share 10 of my favourite growing up lessons J
1.       That God is the center of my life…I enjoy waking up in the morning, kneeling down in prayer and listening to worship music. I am not forced by mommy to go to church as it was a few years back…more often than not I want to go and I want to be on time. I don’t run away from the Pastor because I think he has psychic power to see my transgressions, I chat with them, I tell them what is going on in my life and they pray over me and this has made a huge difference.
2.      Family is a very important element of my life, don’t get me wrong it always has been….and just because we have our peculiarities and fights, doesn’t mean you the outsider can contribute to this madness, be sure I love them all to bits and I will hurt you if you hurt them. It is true what they say blood is thicker than water.
3.      Friends ….they came and went in my early 20s and the ones who remained are those I am willing to invest to keep for a long time. Let’s face it friendships are expensive, time consuming and I can’t be close to everyone so I won’t punish myself for those whom I have not spoken to for some time…..or the ones who still ask haiya wapi bwana na watoto?? Aaaarggh.  This circle of exceptional people is now my mini-family. It’s also means that don’t  need to second guess the people I can go to for just about anything…It’s not just stories for clubbing and hopping from one city to another, it’s about happiness, memories, goals, being challenged, holding each other accountable, praying together and for each other, dreams and realizing there is only one life to live. Right now is when I am making choices that will determine my future.
4.      I have strong opinions sorry very strong opinions; you don’t have to agree with and trust me it is okay, despite what my over piercing eyes may want to communicate….It’s ok, you are entitled to an opinion too, maybe even a silly one like KDF had a right to loot during the Westgate operation. I overanalyze a lot of things….that’s just the way I am and I’m perfectly fine. I guess this means I love me for me.....There is only one me after all. It’s not about perfection, its acceptance and striving to be better
5.     I know my limits…..I know the crap I can’t handle and sometimes it’s important to know what your bottom line is….Just by knowing my limits, I know I can’t party as hard as I used to and I know when it’s time to go home, I’m not competing for first one in and last one out of the club anymore. Knowing my limits also comes with knowing my motivation….and what I want out of a career and it’s not just a paycheck…..
6.      I enjoy cooking more….I enjoy trying out new dishes. Loved baking as a child and the kid in me is back!!! Never let the kid in you die….
7.     I am fine with my past…..I can bump into an ex-boyfriend and be cordial. I can say things like congratulations on the new job and on finally hitting the gym, I wish you a happy marriage and that fatherhood will be ever so thrilling for you….without thinking to the left to the left and how irreplaceable I am. It just dint work out and that’s ok, you live and learn.
8.       Music….it’s become one of my greatest forms of expression. Sultry, deep, meaningful music.
9.      Health….this should probably be way up there….I eat my vegetables, I walk, I try and be healthy more importantly I limit my addictions. 
10.  I have learnt what love is and what love is not….1 Corinthians 13. That’s love! Be grateful when you find it….I know I am J 

13 comments:

  1. This is thought provoking piece Anne. Congratulations on being published girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely piece Mwendz.... Simply said but oh so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mwende can write I knew it I knew it .. but this right here i s awesome and even more when you read it a couple of years down the line just to remind yourself just how awesome you are and how far you have made it :) Go girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...Some of the little talents we somehow discover....Honoured :-)

      Delete
  4. Mwende if ladyaiyana hadn't revealed ur identity i think you would still have been among my top 5 guesses! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle...I cant be that predictable :-P

      Delete
  5. Thank you all far too kind.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing Mwends!!! Spot on :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! i have loved this piece.... looking forward to reading more. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love number 7, very mature of u. Thank you girl.

    ReplyDelete